THE REMAINS OF THE MEDIEVAL HARBOUR IN PUCK (NORTHERN POLAND): A FEW WORDS ABOUT THE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS RESEARCH

Iwona Pomian, Błażej Śliwiński, Szymon Uścinowicz, Tomasz Ważny

Abstract


The remains of a Medieval harbour were discovered in Puck in 1977. Preliminary research was conducted the next year by Wiesław Stępień. The site consists of a set of timber construction remains, located on the ground and strengthened with fascine, between which fragments of ceramics appear, especially in the area of the base of the pier. There are also a lot of pieces of simply processed trunks and branches stripped of bark nearby. Also, some scattered pieces of oak logs with yoke openings have been found lying distributed between the piles. Some help in attempting to reconstruct their arrangement comes from the mooring piles, which have a characteristic rectangular cross-section, and are still located on the sea bed. Pieces of five wrecks (one log boat, and four made from planks) have been found between the harbour constructions. Looking at the chronological arrangement of the site, created slowly on the basis of results obtained from dendrochronological analysis, and supplemented with radiological research, we can assume that the harbour was in use between the tenth and the 14th centuries.

Key words: underwater archaeology, remains of Medieval harbour, sea level change, protection of cultural heritage, south Baltic, Puck Lagoon.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15181/ab.v23i0.1310


Full Text: PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.